Saturday, January 24, 2015

Day 11

Today was much better than yesterday. I was craving steak fajitas so I made some for lunch. It was a little weird to make a full meal from scratch on a Saturday for lunch. My usual Saturday lunch is either leftovers or granola bars, cookies and chips. The fajitas were pretty good and I didn't even mind spending a lot of time and energy making them. For dinner we bought roast pork meals that the local town was selling for a fundraiser. The meal came with pork, baked potato, stuffing, gravy, green beans, salad and pie. I ate the pork with no gravy, the plain potato, no stuffing, the beans, and plain salad. No pie, of course. It was good and lots of food.

So why am I doing the Whole30? For a couple of reasons:
1. To be forced to cook every day. I tend to get in a rut of boxed foods and quick fixes on most days. Or I resort to large cheese-based casseroles to provide several days worth of leftovers. With the rules of the Whole30, there is no way to stay on target with anything from a box or jar. I am forced to cook and use fresh ingredients.

2. To broaden my cooking horizons. I am making new recipes and using different ingredients. It's fun!

3. To lose weight. Duh. Nobody changes their diet in major ways without wanting to lose weight as a goal. I am a tall, big person who hasn't ever been their goal BMI. I am 5'9" and have been 200 - 220 lbs for at least six years (okay maybe more like since at least the eighth grade). Losing some weight would be great. I am shooting for losing twenty pounds.

No comments: