Monday, September 21, 2009

Goat Hiking!

Some of you may have seen the post in my goat Lucy's blog (http://www.lucythegoat.blogspot.com/) the other day about one of my other goats going hiking with me. My Toggenburg, Martha, is currently being trained to be a pack goat. I have taken her on numerous walks in the woods and two big mountain hikes so far. She loves going hiking and really enjoys getting to spend time with people.
Two weekends ago, Martha and I went hiking up Loon Mountain with my friend Carol. We didn't have a key to the gate so we could drive to the trailhead, which meant we had to walk the extra 1.5 miles in to the trail from the road. It was a gorgeous day and we had lots of fun. With the extra mileage tacked on to the hike we didn't make it all the way up the mountain. After 2.5 hours of hiking, Martha started to hesitate and I could tell she was getting tired. We turned around and went home.

This past weekend, Martha and I tried Loon Mountain again. This time we went with a hiking group and were able to drive in to the trailhead. By cutting off the extra hiking time, we were able to make it to the top of the mountain on that gorgeous day. Here are some pictures from that hike:








3 comments:

Melodie said...

This looks so fun! I would love to have a pack goat to take hiking and camping!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Toggenburg - she is such a beauty. I'd love to go hiking with my goats.

Da Bean said...

Martha looks just like my Sissy Nibbles